Drilling holes through ice is always a tedious task, especially when the ice is thick and tough. There are many methods you can use to drill holes in ice but no method works better than an electric ice auger. An electric auger is a lightweight and powerful device that allows you drill holes into ice no matter how thick it feels. They are designed to be cordless, such that you will not need to carry fuel with you when fishing.
Since the introduction of lithium-ion batteries, the use of ice augers has gained popularity becoming a great game changer in the fishing world. If you are looking forward to purchasing an ice auger, you will have to purchase a heavy-duty model that will drill into most ice surfaces. Check out our guide below with the 10 best electric ice auger sand a buyer’s guide.
List of Best Electric Ice Augers in 2023
#10. ION 39350 8” Electric Ice Augers
This ice auger is powered by a powerful 6ah ion battery that provides single cell protection that features the latest battery technology and increases it for cold weather applications. With only 17lbs, this auger is the best to purchase if you want a model that is lightweight. Besides, it has a high-efficiency motor that allows you to pierce with ease in the snow while fishing.
It has a polymer cutting head that ensures consistent and smooth cutting in all conditions and it re-drills old holes hassle-free. The sharp and aggressive design helps to cut through ice with a smooth breakthrough. This auger has polymer flite that keeps this unit lightweight while keeping it flexible and impact-resistant in cold temperatures. Furthermore, it has a center point that enhances precise blade positioning when you are opening new holes.
- Powered by a powerful 6ah ion battery
- It weighs 17lbs
- Features a high-efficient motor
- Equipped with a polymer cutting head for smooth cutting
- Built with a sharp and aggressive design
- It has a center point that enhances precise blade positioning
ION electric ice auger is one of the best models to purchase if you want a model that is lightweight so that you can carry it with less effort.
#9. Jiffy E-6 Lightning Electric Ice Augers
jiffy E-6 electric ice auger is designed to provide you with ultimate performance as well as durability. It is equipped with a sharp and powerful blade that is designed to drill into thick ice surfaces with ease. Furthermore, this drill is made of a quality stainless steel material that is corrosion-free and rust-resistant.
It is built with a simple design that allows you to assemble and disassemble it easily. The auger uses a brushless electric motor that provides enough power to drill into tough ice surfaces. Also, it has a 6 Amp battery that drills more than 1000 inches of ice on one charge. The diameter of this auger is 10”, and this makes it suitable for small and medium holes.
With the ergonomically designed handle, you will not have problems controlling the auger because the handle has strong grips for comfort.
- Equipped with a sharp and powerful blade
- Made of quality stainless steel
- Uses a brushless electric motor
- Features a 6 Amp battery that drills more than 1000 inches per charge
- It has a 10” diameter
jiffy E-6 electric auger is very easy to operate, and the simple design makes it suitable for advanced and intermediate users.
#8. Hiltex 10525 Electric Earth Augers
Among the most selling electric augers in the market, Hiltex 10525 is one of the best. The auger is equipped with a 1200-watt motor that operates at 200 RPM speed to allow you to dig holes fast on all types of ice. Moreover, it features a well-padded handle that helps to reduce fatigue and vibration to give you a great time when digging holes.
In case you are working in an area with children, you do not have to worry because it has a safety lock that adds security when it is not in use. The body of this auger has a thick black paint coating that protects it from corrosion and harsh weather conditions.
- Equipped with a 1200-watt motor with 200RPM speed
- Features a safety lock for added security
- It has a well-padded handle that helps to reduce vibration
- Features a thick black coating that prevents corrosion
Unlike the other electric auger models designed to be used on certain soil types, this model works with all soil types without being corroded or damaged.
#7. SuperHandy Ice Augers Power Head
This auger is built with a slim and lightweight design that allows you to carry it and have full control when drilling. It features a powerful motor that helps you to cut through the ice in a precise and smooth way. Furthermore, it is powered by a powerful 2Ah rechargeable battery that provides enough power to drill multiple holes on a single charge.
It is equipped with wide and comfortable handles that allow you to operate the auger hassle-free. In case you will be working at night, you will not worry about light because it has bright LED lights that provide enough light on your work surface. Moreover, it has an overload protector that protects it from overheating and damage.
- Built with a slim and lightweight design
- Features a powerful motor and 2Ah rechargeable battery
- It has wide and comfortable handles for comfortable operation
- Equipped with bright LED lights for illumination
- Comes with a free charger
Unlike the other models that are not applicable well at night, SuperHandy Ice Auger is a very unique model with LED lights that illuminate your area.
#6. Eskimo Quantum 43cc Power Ice Fishing Augers
If you are looking for a powerful auger that is suitable for simple and tough tasks, the Eskimo Quantum fishing auger. This model runs on a high torque 8000RPM that provides enough power to penetrate through tough ice surfaces. Furthermore, it is equipped with quality foam-grip handlebars that provide you with easy control because they are slip-resistant.
The auger features dual Quantum blades that are replaceable, where they are designed to drill deep smoothly. It is built with a simple design that allows you to assemble and disassemble it easily.
- Runs on a high torque 8000RPM viper engine
- Equipped with quality foam-grip handlebars
- Features dual Quantum replaceable blades
- Built with a simple and slim design
Well, Eskimo Quantum fishing auger is one of the powerful augers in the market run by a powerful engine that makes the auger suitable for heavy-duty tasks.
#5. Clam Cordless Drill Cordless Augers
It is built with a simple design that allows you to assemble and disassemble it easily. The auger uses a brushless electric motor that provides enough power to drill into tough ice surfaces. Also, it has a strong battery that allows you to drill multiple holes on one charge. The diameter of this auger is 6”, and this makes it suitable for small and medium holes.
Clam cordless electric ice auger is designed to provide you with ultimate performance as well as durability. It is equipped with a sharp and powerful blade that is designed to drill into thick ice surfaces with ease. Furthermore, this auger is made of a quality stainless steel material that is corrosion-free and rust-resistant.
- Built with a simple and convenient design
- Uses a brushless electric motor
- Features a strong battery
- It is 6” auger designed for small and medium holes
- Equipped stain-resistant blade
Well, if you want an auger that you can move with it comfortably and drills more holes without feeling fatigued, Clam Cordless ice auger is the best to purchase.
#4. StrikeMaster Lithium 40V Ice Augers
If you have a tight budget, don’t waste your time searching for other models when StrikeMaster is here to suit your budget needs. It is equipped with a heavy-duty motor and a 5-amp battery that provides you with precise and consistent drilling on all ice surfaces. Moreover, the battery is designed to drill more than 100 holes with a single charge.
The ice auger is built with a lightweight and compact design that allows you to move comfortably and cover a large area. It is equipped with reverse gear that helps you to flush ice from the hole. When you are drilling at night, the task will be easy because it has LED lights that provide bright light. Additionally, it has a 4 LED battery indicator that shows the status of the battery.
- It has a heavy-duty motor and a 5-Amp battery
- The battery drills more than 100n holes per charge
- Built with a lightweight and compact design
- Equipped with LED lights for night application
- Features a 4 LED status battery indicator
Despite this model not having enough power, it does not overheat when operating and it is precise and accurate.
#3. Clam Outdoors | 120 Volt Electric Ice Augers
This ice auger has a bottom-mounted centering ring that enables you to reopen frozen over holes easily and slush away ice chips and slush. It is built with a lightweight design that allows you to control it effortlessly and transport it conveniently. With a single charge, the auger drills up to 86 holes in 20” thick ice.
It has a unique battery technology that reduces carbon emission using renewable energy, making it an ideal choice for using inside an indoor fishing shelter. The auger has a brushless motor and 5-gear transmission to offer reliable performance even when the conditions are tough.
- It has an 18” cutting diameter and 35” cutting depth
- Designed to drill up to 86 holes in 20” thick ice
- Features a bottom-mounted centering ring
- Built with a lightweight design for easy control and carrying
- Equipped with a brushless motor and 5-gear planetary system
Clam Outdoors electric ice auger is ideal because it gives you a quiet operation and it is free of toxic exhaust produced by some models.
#2. RAZR 40V Lithium Ice Augers
This ice auger is equipped with a 40 Volt battery that allows you to drill many holes per charge. Furthermore, it is a 40” auger and has comfortable handles that enable you to have full control when drilling.
It is equipped with twin serrated steel blades that allow the auger to drill deep into the ice, where you will not need to push down on the auger. Additionally, it has a bright LED light that provides you with enough light when you are fishing early in the morning or at night. The on/off switch allows light to stay on when the auger is not in use.
- It is equipped with a 40V lithium battery
- Features a reverse function
- It is a 40” auger that cuts through 3” of ice
- Equipped with a twin serrated blades
- It features bright LED lights for illumination at night
- Features an on/off switch for controlling the light
Razr 40V ice auger is the best to purchase if you are looking for a model that is lightweight so that you move easily and control it without having problems.
#1. Trophy Strike 120V Cordless Ice Augers
Trophy Strike ice auger is equipped with large and padded handles that allow you to operate the auger with ease. This auger is designed to drill up to 86 holes in 20” thick ice with great accuracy and precision on a single charge. Furthermore, it is built with a lightweight and convenient design that allows you to carry and store it easily.
It is equipped with a brushless motor and 5-gear planetary transmission that provide good performance even during conditions. The auger features a reversible drive and bottom-mounted centering ring that enable you to reopen frozen holes easily and flush away ice chips and slush.
- It has a cutting depth of 31.5” and 8” cutting diameter
- Features large and padded handles for comfort
- Built with a lightweight and convenient design
- Features a 5-gear planetary transmission and a brushless motor
- It has a reversible drive and bottom-mounted centering ring
No matter how thick the ice is, Trophy Strike is auger will cut through the ice without being damaged. Besides, it is a great choice if you want to drill soft surfaces.
Things to Consider when Choosing an Electric Ice Auger
- Weight: The selling point of an electric ice augers is the weight. Typical augers weigh 30 to 40 percent less than the fuel-powered models. This makes a big difference if you want to drill multiple holes over the course of your outing. In the old days, sitting over the same hole and waiting for fish was the norm, but with ice augers, fishing is always an easy and enjoyable task.
- Cutting diameter: The cutting diameter is important as it determines the width of the hole. Most augers have 8” or 10” diameters, and others have a diameter of 6”. Unless you are fishing small fish like a crappie or yellow perch, you will need a model with a cutting diameter at least 8”. However, the choice between 8” and 10” depends on your fishing style and preference.
The 8” use less battery than 10” models, where this allows you to drill many holes per charge. Most fish you encounter can fit comfortably through an 8” hole, but if you are after a big fish like a muskie, lake trout or northern pike, a 10” diameter will be the best.
- Blade type: There are two common types of ice auger blades: shaving and chipper blades.
Shaving blades; they have a smooth cutting edge and they remove a small amount of ice per every pass. The blades are very sharp to allow you cut through ice easily. However, they are not durable than chipper blades because they are suited to work ice surfaces that are not thick.
Chipper blades; these blades are equipped with wide teeth similar to the groove of a serrated knife. They are designed to drill through tough ice but they are less precise and slower than shaving blades. This design makes them ideal for reopening old holes that have frozen.
Therefore, a shaving blade works best for most augers, but if you want to re-drill old holes, you will have to consider investing in a chipper blade.
In earlier days, drilling a hole and waiting for fish to come out the same was a bit tedious. Luckily, ever since the introduction of electric ice augers, they have increased interest among many fishermen. They allow you to drill into tough ice surfaces using less effort. People are embracing them and most companies are doing their best to produce the best fish augers. With the guide above, you have a chance to purchase a quality model that will suit your needs.
Leave a Reply